Monday, January 12, 2015

Habit-Forming

According to the Oxford Dictionary a habit is a settled or regular tendency, especially one that is hard to give up. Additionally, according to Psychology Today habit formation is the process by which new behaviors become automatic.

It is said that old habits are hard to break (I'm speaking about you chocolate chip cookies) and new habits are hard to form (regular exercise I'm now channeling you.)

In that vein I will tell you that my dear husband and I completed our second hike of 2015. Is it a habit yet? Not sure, but it was highly enjoyable. Last weekend after Hike #1, we went out and purchased (he went out and purchased) some trekking poles. This pair of highly sophisticated and user-friendly poles (one for me, one for him) came in super handy this past weekend when we traversed some gravelly trails. I am the only one who used a trekking pole, by the way.




If you know me, you know that I am a bit unsteady, have occasional vertigo, and broke my wrist hiking a few years back. For these highly rational reasons, I have avoided the mere mention of hiking like the plague. But... I'm now creating a habit out of regular exercise and that includes weekend hikes.

Out to South Mountain we ventured again and took the Ridge Line Trail from the Ramada area at the beginning of the dirt road. Eventually I'm going to have all these trails and the hiking lingo down pat. Suffice it to say that I did not get any blisters, I did not fall, and our two hour trek was splendid indeed.


 
 
 
 


P.S. - that picture of me on top of the big rock was taken about 30 minutes before I broke my wrist.

...and the habit continues!
Cheers :)
Deb

1 comment:

  1. Yay for outdoor adventure! There are no places for hiking in South Georgia, but I may get some of those poles anyway!

    ReplyDelete