Monday, March 5, 2012

Strolling Through Antigua

Just the name 'Antigua' sounds gorgeous rolling off the tongue, doesn't it?? Antigua - so tropical. Antigua - so cultural. Antigua - Aaaaaahhhhh.......

Antigua was indeed a lovely island. We did not have an excursion planned here and decided to stroll the city instead. There was shopping right at the pier and the prices were terrific. I popped into Longchamp and found the perfect little bag for my purse cosmetics. Bargain#1.

One of the things I liked most about this shopping area were the hand-crafted items and bits of this or that that were truly unique. There were still many of the typical cruise-island shops like Diamond International, but we found pottery, sculpture, paintings, and jewelry that we haven't seen anywhere else. I really should have brought home that Moon Goddesss statue I think... There were a few trinkets that made their way right back to my home in Arizona though. Jewelry - Bargain #2. After a shopping jaunt, we headed uptown and found a lovely church that was being renovated and it's cemetery. We always LOVE a good cemetery!!





Wandering through town we found a cool little cafe spot to sit and sample this island's brew. Zach would be so proud! I also found a pretty dress (for $20-Bargain #3!) and some interesting public seating. I love the picture of this bench and have it framed now in my home. Check it out... Words to live by.



The Carib was good; not my very favorite. So far I liked the Banks Beer in Barbados the best. It was a pretty hot day though and an ice-cold beer was just what I needed to make it through the afternoon.

We met up with our friends later and had a snack and some rum. Boy those islanders sure know how to make a rum punch! A little grated nutmeg on top made it all go down so smoothly. Right, Julie?? Happiness in a glass - Bargain #4.



Antigua also has a nice quantity of lovely resorts on their beaches. You could probably spend a wad of your future retirement bundle lazing about on this island. However, the food, fun, and drinks were well priced so..... Think about it.

The weather on all of these islands is humidly temperate - about 85 degrees each and every day of the year with some scattered rainfall. This was February and we were in sleeveless tanks so I can't imagine what the summer may look like. Maybe a little bit warmer and damper? 

As our ship departed the harbor in Antigua, the sunset was one of the most amazing of the entire week.



Hubby does a nice job of taking some pretty fantastic photos. I'm lucky to have him for a variety of reasons!!

Adieux from Antigua,
Deb :)



No comments:

Post a Comment