Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Just Back from Napa Valley

Let's start with the present and we'll wander around the world together.

We have just returned from the Napa Valley where we spent a whirlwind weekend visiting several wineries with close friends. Our stay at the Napa Valley Marriott was delightful and the service was quite good. A recent renovation has made this hotel a wonderful respite at the end of a long day of tasting. Our weekend started at Hendry Winery (www.hendrywines.com) and what a wonderful visit this was. Mr. Hendry led this intimate tour and tasting and we couldn't help but purchase a case of his delicious wine. Try some yourself and see!

Ever have a problem with wine? I have had a strange throat situation with wine for several years now. Certain wines are bitter tasting almost. Well, Mr. Hendry helped me to figure out that I have a "tannin-sensitivity." He performed a mini science experiment with me and voila... I know what I can and cannot drink happily. Thanks Mr. Hendry!!!

We stopped into Frogs Leap (www.frogsleap.com) as well, but they were so busy that our visit was marred by the crowds. Try a mid-week visit next time.

Our Saturday was planned deliciously by California Wine Tours (www.californiawinetours.com) and we traveled all around the valley sampling the delights of grapes. We absolutely fell in love with Rombauer (www.rombauer.com) and Flora Springs (www.florasprings.com) as well. Treat yourself to their Chardonnays and Zinfandels and you will see what I mean.

Dinner was an Italian success at Bistro don Giovanni - yumm yummm yummmmm. A friend pointed us to Bouchon Bakery in Yountville for Sunday breakfast and let me tell you - their pastries are to DIE for! (www.bouchonbakery.com) The donuts were unbelievable, the croissants were flaky, and the macarons were just like Paris, France.

On our way out of town we stopped into V. Sattui Winery (www.vsattui.com) which won the Winery of the Year Award in 2011. There is no shortage of wine tasting here and the deli or barbecue are both delicious. Next time I'll fly in and out of Sacramento instead of Oakland and visit the Bouchon Bakery every single morning!

Let me know what you think... I'll visit with you again soon.
Deb :)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post! I am hoping to go to Napa Valley this summer! It sounds like you had a lot of fun! I hope that we are able to get a limousine to drive us around when we go.

    ReplyDelete